Choosing the right course after 12th commerce is one of the most difficult tasks for a commerce student who has done 10+2 and searching for the best career option.
Career plays a vital role in an individual’s life, and career planning is essential for a successful career. So, it should be chosen with care, as once it is taken it would be difficult to reverse.
There are numerous options to start a career after 12th commerce after you pass the 12th standard with good marks.
After 12th commerce, you can opt for either academic or professional courses or a combination of both depending on your aptitude, interests, and talents.
While choosing a course for your career, you should know your abilities, interests, aptitudes, and personality.
In the commerce stream, there are various career options for the students. Some professional courses like Chartered Accountancy, Cost and Work Accounting, and Company Secretary can be done immediately after class 12th and the admission is on the basis of the qualifying test.
Other options like B. Com, BBA, etc. also help in grabbing lucrative job opportunities.
Here I’m going to give short details for top academic and professional courses that you can choose after 12th commerce.
You can choose the following professional courses after 12th commerce for making your career in commerce.
Chartered Accountancy (CA)
Chartered accountancy (CA) is one of the toughest examinations and only a very rare percentage of students clears the examination.
Two things are important to clear this exam, One, your memory should be sharp because it has a very large syllabus and second, you should have good writing skills for obtaining good marks in CA exams.
It is better if you choose a bachelor’s of commerce degree in your graduation before you pursue the CA examination.
For being a Chartered Accountant, you should:
- Register for Foundation Course after 12th commerce.
- Complete four months Study Period. Register till 30th June/ 31st December for being eligible to appear in November/ May Foundation Course Examination.
- Appear in Foundation Examination called CPT (Competency Professional Test).
- Join Intermediate Course after passing Foundation Examination
- Undergo Four Weeks Integrated Course on Information Technology and Soft skills (ICITSS) at the earliest but these are to be completed compulsorily before commencement of their Articleship.
- Appear in Intermediate Examination on completion of 8 months of study course as on the first day of the month in which the examination is to be held.
- Join articled training after passing either of the Group or Both Groups of Intermediate Course and after successfully undergoing ICITSS.
- Clear the balance Group (if any) of Intermediate Examination.
- Register for Final Course.
- Successfully undergo Four Weeks Advanced Integrated Course on Information Technology and Soft skills (AICITSS) during the last two years of practical training but before appearing in the Final Examination.
- Appear in the Final Examination on completion of the practical training or while serving the last 6 months of articled training on or before the last day of the month preceding the month in which the examination is to be held after successful completion of AICITSS.
- Complete articled training of 3 years.
- Pass Final Examination.
- Enroll as a member of the ICAI and be designated as “Chartered Accountant”.
- Foundation Course: 9200
- Intermediate Course: For Group I/II Rs. 13000 and for both Group I & II Rs. 18000
- Final Course: Rs. 22000
CA Examination fee:
- Foundation Course: Rs. 1500
- Intermediate Course: Rs. Single Group Rs. 1500 and Both Groups Rs. 2700
- Final Course: Rs. Single Group Rs. 1800 and Both Groups Rs. 3300
Company Secretary (CS)
A company secretary is an in-house legal expert; a compliance officer of the Company.
They are experts in corporate laws, securities laws & capital markets, and corporate governance.
They are the chief advisor to the board of directors on best practices in corporate governance.
A qualified company secretary has various job openings in the business world, and can also practice as an independent professional.
To become a Company Secretary, You have to undergo three stages:
- Foundation Programme
- Executive Programme
- Professional Programme
- Register for CS Foundation Programme after 12th commerce.
- Appear in Foundation Examination
- Join the CS Executive Programme after passing the CS Foundation Examination
- Appear in CS Executive Programme (Module I & Module II)
- Register for CS Professional Programme after Clearing the CS Executive Programme
- Appear in CS Professional Programme (Module I, II & III).
- Complete One-year Internship with specified entities after passing the Professional Programme.
- Join 15 days Management Skills Orientation Programme.
- Enroll as a member of the ICSI and be designated as “Company Secretary”.
CS Registration Fee:
- CS Foundation Programme: Rs. 4500
- CS Executive Programme : Rs. 8500
- CS Professional Programme: Rs. 12000
CS Examination fee:
- Foundation Programme –Rs. 1200/-
- Executive Programme – Rs. 1200/- per Module
- Professional Programme –Rs. 1200/- per Module
Cost Management Accountant (CMA)
Cost Accountants are in great demand in government sector, private sector, banking & finance sector, developmental agencies, education, training & research sector as well as in service and public utility sector.
Further, in view of their specialized knowledge and training, CMAs may hold top management position in public and private sectors’ enterprises like:
- Managing Director,
- Finance Director,
- Financial Controller,
- Chief Financial Officer,
- Cost Controller,
- Marketing Manager
- Chief Internal Auditor
- Other important positions.
There is a sustained demand for qualified, trained and experienced cost accountants in India and abroad in different industries and Government Departments.
To become a Cost Management Accountant (CMA), You have to undergo three stages to pursue the CMA Course:
- CMA Foundation Course
- CMA Intermediate course
- CMA Final Course
See the steps from admission to membership:
- Register to CMA Foundation Course after 12th commerce.
- Appear in CMA Foundation Exam & clear it.
- Register to CMA Intermediate Course
- Complete Communication and Soft Skill (CSS) Training- 3 days and Complete Computer Training-100 hrs.
- Appear in Intermediate Exam (Both Groups) & clear it.
- Enroll for Final Course
- Complete Industry Oriented Training Programme (IOTP)– 7 Days and Complete Practical Training-3 years (6 months mandatory)
- Appear in Final Exam (Both Groups) & clear it.
- Apply and become a member of the Institute
CMA Registration Fees:
- CMA Foundation Course: 4000
- CMA Intermediate Course: Rs. 20000
- CMA Final Course: Rs. 17000
CMA Examination fee:
- CMA Foundation Course: Rs. 1200
- CMA Intermediate Course: Rs. Single Group Rs. 1200 and Both Groups Rs. 2400
- CMA Final Course: Rs. Single Group Rs. 1400 and Both Groups Rs. 2800
After 12th commerce, you can also pursue academic courses.
Here are some of the top academic courses for you to make a career in commerce.
Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)
BCom is the best option for students who want to make a career in commerce, accounting, finance, banking, and insurance.
BCom is also ideal for those who wish to pursue Chartered Accountancy, Cost Accounting, and Company Secretaryship.
Under BCom, there are three most popular courses, namely BCom or BCom-General, BCom (Honours), and BCom LLB.
The BCom or BCom-General is also referred to as BCom-Pass by many universities.
B.Com pass course imparts knowledge and overview of the commerce subjects but students have no option for specializing in a particular subject.
BCom (Honours) offers specialization in the field of Accounting and
Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management, etc.
B. Com( Hons) Top Specializations:
- Accounts & Finance
- Investment Management
- Banking And Insurance
- Financial Market
- Human Resources
- Information Management
Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Legislative Law (BCom LLB) is an integrated course wherein aspirants are taught both commerce and law subjects. The duration of Bcom LLB is of five years.
B.Com LLB is a great career choice for those who have an interest in business and law together as it allows candidates to gain full knowledge and gain two degrees within the span of five years i.e Bcom and LLB.